Heritage Week 2023 at Kilkenny Library
Kilkenny County Council Library service is delighted to again participate in Heritage Week. Heritage Week showcases the diversity and depth of Ireland’s heritage assets in the built, natural and cultural heritage areas. The ongoing success of the initiative has been built on free events being provided by a variety of providers locally by cultural organisations, community groups and individuals. The Library’ Programme this year covers all three aspects of natural, cultural and built heritage. Main events include:
- Talk by historian Eoin Swithin Walsh looking back at the Decade of Centenaries period in Kilkenny in Loughboy Library
- Two guided walks highlighting Kilkenny’s Biodiversity originating in Thomastown and Loughboy Libraries. Participants will then record their findings on the Library Citizen Science Kit.
- Recording Milk Churn Stands. These were once a common feature of rural Ireland. Participants will learn how to record occurrences of these online.
- Kilkenny Recoloured’ Hand coloured postcards were very popular in the early 20th Century. A series of images from our postcard collection will be posted daily on the library social media channels during Heritage week.
- Our popular one-to-one Genealogy Masterclasses in Graiguenamanagh Library and the Local Studies’ Department continue this year, booking essential.
‘The Library Service is as always delighted to host events in our libraries and virtually for Heritage Week and to highlight the breath and depth of Heritage in Kilkenny.’ says Executive Librarian, Declan Macauley, ‘Heritage Week is a great opportunity for the public to familiarise and participate in all aspects of Kilkenny’s rich heritage.’ He added.
You can access additional information as regards times of events, booking details and any additional events, where applicable etc. at www.kilkennylibrary.ie, or at https://www.heritageweek.ie/event-listings
Funding for our lectures is supplied by Creative Ireland the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media under the Decade of Centenaries 2012-2023 initiative