Summer Stars is an annual reading challenge under the Right to Read Literacy Initiative for Kilkenny. It runs throughout July and August to encourage children to read for fun over the holidays, and keep reading ability steady over the summer months.
Summer Stars Reading Adventure runs from Wednesday 14th June to Friday 25th August in Kilkenny.
What you need to get started:
« A current library membership: New members can sign up at your local library (Parents or guardians you will need to bring identification and proof of address)
« Summer Stars Reading Card: Collect your card from your local library or download
How does it work?
- The challenge is to read or listen to 8 books over the Summer.
- You can borrow books from our libraries or download eBooks, eAudiobooks or eMagazines from our online collection from the comfort of your home!
- Record your progress on the reading card and bring it into the library to have it signed / stamped by staff.
- Watch out for regular story times and crafts in libraries, and online quizzes and recommendations on our website (under What's on) and our social media channels.
- There will be prize draws in each library for readers that have borrowed books from the library that week.
Returning your completed card
When you have finished reading the 8 books or magazines, fill in your name and library card number on the reading card.
Hand in your completed card to one of our library branches
Email a clear scan or photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on social media @kilkennylibrary
This initiative is part of our Right to Read Action plan for Kilkenny Local Authority.